Symposium ‘No Freedom Without Press
D66 en het European Liberal Forum organiseren op zaterdag 29 november 2014 het media-symposium No Freedom Without Press. Zowel D66-leden als niet-leden zijn die dag van harte welkom in het West-Indisch Huis in Amsterdam. Kaarten kunnen hier worden gekocht. Het programma duurt van 10:00 tot 17:00 uur. Hieronder de omschrijving van het symposium (in English).
‘Free, pluralistic and independent media are vital for a well-functioning liberal democratic society. They can and should be a strong tool in the control of the democratically elected representatives. Press freedom is a pre-condition for freedom of speech and expression, one of the core values of the European Union. Many consider a free and pluralistic press to be omnipresent in Europe, and take it for granted. However, freedom of press is under pressure in many ways both beyond but certainly also within the borders of the European Union.
The conference “No Freedom without Press” will focus on the 21st century challenges of the media and press in the European Union. The program will bring together a wide range of media-experts, practitioners and policymakers who will discuss threats to a free and pluralist media environment both within and beyond the borders of the European Union and the role of European institutions in safeguarding this environment.
Confirmed speakers include:
– Chris Ostendorf – NOS-correspondent Brussels
– Marietje Schaake – Member of European Parliament D66
– Olaf Koens – Volkskrant-correspondent in Russia and Ukraine
– Anna Zamejc – journalist Radio Free Europe and newsweek Polska, Poland
– Elisa Hermanides – journalist newspaper Parool
– Jan Paternotte – political leader D66 Amsterdam
– Asteris Masouras – digital rights activist
– Sjoerd Sjoerdsma – Member of Parliament D66
– Roman Vybranovskyy – secretary Ukranian journalistic ethics committee
Various themes will be singled out for discussion in small-scale, interactive workshops:
– Citizen’s Journalism
– Democratic Control and the Role of Local Media
– Ukraine: free press in times of crises
‘No Freedom Without Press’ is an activity of the European Liberal Forum with the support of the International Democratic Initiative and was funded by the European Parliament. Cooperating organizations: Friedrich Naumann Foundation (Germany), Republikon (Hungary), Forum for Greece (Greece), LIPA (Bulgaria), ISL (Romania) and Hans van Mierlo Sticthing.’